View My Stats

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My child told a lie not an "untruth"

We have all been there as moms. We are running around in the morning attempting to get out of the door. It always seems that no matter how hard you try you always run. This morning was my normal running routine-take a 3 minute shower (1 minute longer than I usually get) get my child up for school and get myself dressed, her dressed, feed everyone including the dog breakfast and run to school for my child and work for me. I call it the "mom blinders" when I am so focused on the finish line of the front door that I forget or ignore the hurdles in the race to get to the finish line. This morning there was a big hurdle. I asked my child a question and I knew the answer that I received back was not the truth. So knowing I was not being told the truth I asked two more times and received the same response. I was furious but wanted my child to admit that they were lying and not have me tell them that I knew they were. So an hour went by and then my child finally admitted that they had not told the truth. I was livid but still had to get out the front door. Although my child was remorseful I did not want the lesson that lying was wrong not to be taught so our conversation on the way to school and after school was how lying was wrong. I told the story to one of my mom friends who said it was wrong to tell my child that they told a lie-I should call it "an untruth" and that she thought I was being too hard on my child. Although I appreciated my friend's advice I wanted to call a lie a lie. I think that our children are being taught political correctness enough already and I refuse to let political correctness enter into my discipline. I do not want my child to think it is ever acceptable to lie no matter how big or small. Lying is never acceptable at any age. There are too many examples in society and the media where lying is seen as acceptable (John Edwards, Bill Clinton, Tiger Woods) just to name a few and I do not want my child to ever think lying is okay. Lying is not an "untruth" it is a lie.

No comments: