View My Stats

Monday, February 1, 2010

Mommy guilt on sick days

I am sick today of all days!  I have a cold.  Usually that would not be a big deal except today is a lovely snow day from my child's school.  The reason I call it “lovely" snow day is that I live in an area of the country where it supposedly never snows.  That being said we got snow on Saturday and more snow is expected this week.  So I have a cold, and my child wants to go outside and play in the snow.  I am delaying it as long as possible because I do not want to be sick at the same time my child is.  Is that selfish of me?  My child has had their fair share of snow this weekend.  Between making snow angels, sledding with Daddy and building snowmen our family has taken full advantage of the wintry wonderland.  But today my husband is at work and I have a cold and my child has no school. The roads in my area are icy and it is doubtful if the kids will have school tomorrow.  So as guilty as I feel my child is still in their pajamas at lunchtime, watching TV, my house is a mess and I feel like I was hit by a truck. Although I feel guilty for not doing much today knowing I will be snowbound at home for several days allows my cold to overcome my guilt!  Mommy guilt is the worse.  I should be cleaning house, cooking laundry, planning meals (okay dinner is in the crock-pot) but instead my motivation is just like the snow-frozen.  Mommies do not get sick days and when we do we feel guilty about taking them.  When I worked full time I never felt guilty about taking a sick day so why do I feel so guilty now?

No comments: