View My Stats

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Most Important Advice I Have Ever Received as a Mom

Hi to my Daily Mommy News Friends!  I wanted to share some advice with you that has been given to me since the day that I had a child which is enjoy every moment because they grow up too fast!  I never really believed that but today that advice has hit me like a ton of bricks because it is true.  When I was dealing with diapers, nursing, potty training, “the terrible twos” which never happened until the “terrible threes and fours” I could not wait to get through that stage of my child’s life.  I could not wait for them to crawl and after crawling I could not wait for them to walk. Now that my child is in school I miss those days.  I just took a walk outside this morning with my dog and longed for the days when my child and I took our daily walks in their stroller and before they were talking I named everything to them so they could learn the names of new things.  That is the same child who now makes their bed, uses words about “being concerned” and “conservative” and the same child who was so excited to eat lunch with their friends yesterday climbed into the refrigerator to get the items for their lunch and packed their own lunch ice pack and all.  This activity was a surprise to me when I called my husband to thank him for packing my child’s lunch and when he told me he did not do it a tear came to my eye as I was also laughing at the realization that my child had packed their own lunch.  Yes my child still needs me and hopefully always will but in a different way now than they used to.  As I dropped them off at school today I found myself missing the days when they were too young for school and wanting them with me.  I was comforted though when my child ran down the hall to show me their major accomplishment of writing their name and especially the first letter of their last name without any mistakes on their first try.  I saw the look on my child’s face and will always remember that moment of pride.  So although I long for the past I love the present with my child and now on a minute by minute basis remember that I need to enjoy every moment no matter how challenging or how fun because they all are important because they do grow up too fast.  Remember that. 

No comments: