View My Stats

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mommy Theme Song of the Day “I Did It My Way” by Frank Sinatra

Mommy Theme Song of the Day “I Did It My Way” by Frank Sinatra

Do you know that Frank Sinatra Song “I Did It My Way” which starts with the line “Regrets-I’ve had a few?"  That is the theme song of my opinion of my parenting skills right now.  As I have said in past blogs I love my child more than life itself and would give my life for them.  On the majority of the days my child is far from perfect but overall is good. For some reason, recently though I have found myself being more impatient and short tempered with my child although. I do not know the definite reason behind my impatience.  I could list a few reasons-we have been snowbound for 6 days and there is another snow storm coming, lack of sleep, I have had a cold, I have been driving my husband crazy and not in a good way, but I cannot pinpoint the real reason. 

 I am going to give you a little background for you about my parenting knowledge to help you understand.  I came from a divorced family like a lot of us did. My mother who died a few years ago was my whole world and my best friend.  She passed away long before I met my husband and got married and had children so I never was able to receive any parenting advice or marriage advice from her so most days I feel like I do not have a clue about how to be a good mom.  Those of you who complain about the advice that you receive from your mother do not realize how lucky you are to have her until she is gone. Remember that.  So when I need advice I usually go to my friends for help which helps a lot but I tend to take the advice and tailor it to my current situation and do it “my way”. 

Most days as I am sure many of us feel I am proud of the job I am doing as a mom.  Recently my days have been quite the opposite.  These are the days where my child actually wants to spend time with me and I find myself telling them “maybe later” or “ I am busy” or “please do not ask me again.”  Over the past 6 snowbound days my child has asked me to play every game imaginable, play with every toy and listen to every story and although I have agreed to most of their requests I definitely have not agreed to all of them.  I have longed for a return to my daily routine that has been ended by the snow.  Days of working, taking my child to school, running countless errands, socializing with adults instead of being the social director have been put on hold due to the snow.

Now today my child is returning to school and my daily routine that the snow put on hold is back.  I find myself sad that I will not be able to spend the whole day with my child playing and doing my child’s latest favorite activity which is watching “The Price Is Right” with me.  My child had never seen a game show prior to 2 days ago and now loves watching it just like I did with my mom growing up.  My friends have told me what a wonderful time they had over the past few snowbound days without a complaint. Now I know that might have been for my benefit so they would not appear negative but I feel guilty.  The days that Mother Nature gave me to play with my child are gone and I did not take full advantage of the time I was given. 

So the next time I have just to spend time with my child I will remember the song “ I Did It My Way”  and instead of saying “Regrets I Have a Few”  I will be smiling with the sweet memories of the time I was given. 

No comments: