View My Stats

Friday, August 19, 2011

Summertime Punishment Is a Horrible Mommy Punishment!



My child has a little over 2 weeks left of summer vacation.  Their favorite television show which is Phinneas and Pherb ( honestly I like it too) has a theme song with there are “104 days of summer vacation” which I daily correct with the actual countdown-17 days.  My child loves school and I love that fact and so I am looking forward to school for them but I also am attempting to make a few last summer memories with them which keep getting delayed by my child’s actions.  Today was going to consist of going out to lunch, a play date and various fun activities after yesterday’s day at the pool and a play date and back to school shopping.  Today all changed when my child while getting dressed for bed decided not to make a good decision with my husband.  My husband was understandably frustrated-our child’s actions were not appropriate behavior but no sooner than he punished our child (notice I am saying “our”) the realization set in that it was bedtime and while my husband could go to work this morning before our child woke up I was going to be the “enforcer of the punishment”-a title that as a stay at home mom goes with the job description.  I cannot excuse their actions and yes time is precious and memories are important and they will only be this age once but the actions on their part require an important life lesson which as I type this is being taught to my child who has lost television, a play date and going out to lunch.  We have many fun activities planned for our child during the last 2 weeks of school but today I feel like I am the one being punished.  A wonderful mommy friend of mine who gives me the best advice has taught me that my job is not to be my child’s friend or entertainer but be their teacher of right and wrong.  I remember her words today in my head as I am being called a mean mommy constantly.

No comments: