View My Stats

Friday, July 9, 2010

Mommy Friendly Recipe- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies that even I a non baker can make!

Hi to all of my Daily Mommy News Friends!  I apologize that my news has not been “daily”. I have been trying to keep mp preschooler soon to be kindergartener busy this summer and as all of your moms know that is a full time job.  Although I love every minute of it as I have said in a past blog being mommy aka Julie McCoy “Mommy What Are We Going To Do Next Director” is wonderful yet exhausting.  On one of those “mommy what are we going to next days” this week I got the bright idea to make cookies with my child. From their excitement you would think we were going to Disneyworld-it is the simple things I love at this age. After my child donned their chef’s hat and apron I was faced with the dilemma of what mommy friendly cookie I could bake.  By “mommy friendly” I mean inexpensive, easy, one bowl, no mixer, all of the ingredients are in the house, no mess and impossible to burn cookies.  As I have said in my previous blogs I am not a baker. I love to cook and I can make my Italian Grandfather’s 20 hour lasagna from scratch recipe (which I will take to the grave with me) and people rave about it but I can burn any baking recipe imaginable.  For example last Christmas I burned Christmas Cookies-the simple sugar slice and bake kind which I ended having to throw out or from a previous blog you know the story of my mother-in-law’s birthday cake which I left in the oven too long and ended up drying out.  So my baking usually consists of slice and bake cookies although I have even burned those more times than I care to admit.  So when I was looking for a cookie recipe I could not find one that met my above criteria so I went to my pantry and saw a bag of peanut butter cookie mix which I think had been up there since before the last Presidential election.  Every time I looked at the bag I remembered my prior baking extravaganzas and the bag went back in the pantry and my “baker” came from Kroger-our grocery store. This week I decided I would not let the bag of cookies with 2 daunting  add in ingredients-water and oil get the best of me and I set out to make the cookies. They actually came out really good-they did not even burn and my husband who has experienced many a burnt cookie and now gives me honest opinions of my baking after 10 years of eating hockey puck burned cookies and saying they were the best cookie her ever had loved them so I wanted to share the recipe with you. My husband even told my child that we could open a baking shop and sell them-that comment made my child proud because they felt that they made this easy cookie recipe all by themselves.  It is easy and meets all of my baking criteria so enjoy!

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Ingredients: 1 package Betty Crocker (or any variety) dry Peanut Butter cookie mix, water, vegetable oil (according to package) and Trader Joe’s (or any variety) 100 percent fruit Raspberry (or any flavor) preserves-not jelly, jelly will burn.

Directions: Make cookies according to package directions.  After you score the cookies with a fork as it says in the directions then put a small amount-about a third of a teaspoon Raspberry preserves in the middle of the cookie.  Less is better than more on this so the preserves do not burn.  Bake according to package directions.  Do not over bake.  Let cool and enjoy!

1 comment:

Darlene said...

That sounds yummy & easy! Thanks for sharing!