View My Stats

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sometimes It is Hard To Be a Mom.

Hello to my Daily Mommy News Friends.  I am going to be very honest and open today about being a mom.  First of all let me please say I absolutely love being a mom.  Being a mom was the best thing other than my husband that has ever happened to me.  I love my child more than life itself and would give my life for them in a heartbeat.  That being said being a mom is not easy.  There are thousands of books out there and even more people who want to give you advice on being a mom. But what all of those books and well meaning people need to understand is that motherhood cannot come with an instruction manual because all children are different.  It more than frustrates me when I hear moms go on and on about how perfectly behaved their child is because lets be honest please-no child is perfect.  When I hear these moms go on and on it also makes me doubt my abilities as a mom when I am having a bad day and just want another mom to listen not compare my child to theirs.  Overall my child is good but my child and I have been having a test of wills for a few weeks now and I find myself screaming more than I would like and already at their very young age my child is portraying me as the bad guy while they portray my husband as the perfect parent.  Just last night for example I found my husband fixing a toy and when I asked him why he was doing that he told me although he doubted my child’s statement he was told by our child that I had refused to fix it which in reality I was never asked to fix the toy nor did I know that it was broken.  I am already getting pre- teenage responses from a child whose age is in the single digits.  Everything seems to be a battle and I get up each day just trying to spend time with my young child knowing those moments are precious and that someday that they will not want to spend time with me. I start each day with a positive attitude but by breakfast after battling with just a small window of time before school to have my child eat, get dressed etc I already am frustrated.  I keep trying and trying to have patience but also I know that during these formative years my job is to be a parent and teach my child right from wrong so sometimes I admittedly overreact but it is so hard to find the balance between ignoring and disciplining.  This morning I reflected on my childhood to see what my mom did with me hoping with reflection on myself I could find some guidance because unfortunately my mom passed away so I cannot ask her.  I keep trying everything to make myself a better mom and feel like each day I try but lately have been failing miserably.  I want my child to be well behaved but I also want my child to enjoy being around me.  My mom was my best friend and I want my child to say that when she is my age.  So what I am trying to say is the next time a fellow mom asks you for advice please do not positively spin your advice.  Please be honest and admit your failures and frustrations because although we all love being a mom sometimes it is very hard to be a mom.  That is not a negative statement-it is an honest one.

1 comment:

Brandee said...

I understand where you're coming from on all levels! =)